Sunday, January 29, 2012

In Memory of John ("Jack") O'Brien

As I was about to leave town, my grandfather finally succumbed to his ailments, and old age, and died last Monday.  He had battling declining health the last few months, and went onto hospice these last few weeks.

I flew out to Minneapolis for the funeral, and had a chance to visit with family, which was nice.

He was a prominent trial lawyer in the Twin Cities area.  It was great to hear some of the stories from friends from his firm (which he started: Jardine, Logan, and O'Brien).  One man Al, gave an incredibly touching eulogy, and described his friend Jack, that he had known since ~1965.  It was no surprise that most of the stories of Grandpa Jack, cast him as quite the comedian.  He loved to laugh and make jokes, and even the last few days of his life, I heard he was still quite the prankster.

I have spent every summer since I was a child, traveling to Minnesota, and visiting him at his cabin by Teal lake near Hayward, WI.  I have many fond memories spending time with him, and rest of the family at the lake cabin, that I will never forget.

As my grandpa always liked to remind me: "Thinking does not require movement of the lips or tongue".

The obituary can be seen here: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/twincities/obituary.aspx?n=john-raymond-obrien&pid=155619633&fhid=4255

Being the irishmen he loved to be, I know he would appreciate a true Irish blessing:

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
May the rains fall soft upon your fields

Love you Grandpa

1928 - 2012




No comments:

Post a Comment