Friday, June 29, 2012

Media

Before I left, I went camping with Yanet in the mountains near Tapalpa




Tapalpa


















Leaving town.  Izhak and Jorge

One last look back

Back on the road



Julio - Cesar? Very kind guy, bought me lunch.  Muchas gracias amigo!





Volcano, there was a sign at the toll booth I forgot to take a picture of.  It had three lights, basically - safe, be prepared, and run for your life (it was on the second one)



So tempting


Just another day in the life

Cool guy, waited for me while I got water, and showed me the way to find Pasquales

The way into Pasquales

Heavy barrels






I´ll definitely miss her, countless sessions, but had lots of good years of use

Anton having a good laugh


Just when I arrived, I was so ready to surf after riding and sweating for three days straight


Fixing up my new board


New board with my old pad



The smell of rotting coconuts is almost on par with the smell of rotting mangos


Bici Izhak made for me before I left GDL

New brake holder, also courtesy of Izhak - gracias we!



Saw these a few times, they´re little huts for hens.


Near head on with two semis I came across, the other side of this thing one of the fuel tanks had ruptured and diesel was all over the road.

Hard times, winding around the coast, up and down, in the searing heat

Free mangos, soo good

Cheapest I´ve seen mangos sold, for 40 pesos a kilo


Launch ramp





Tikla with the guys, Zac, Tom and Anton



Charging my ipod with the solar panel my friend Peter of OSS sent me





Another broken pole, uhhh


Probably the funnest surf session I¨ve had in Mexico, early one morning with Anton.  Out with a friend, warm water, good waves, offshore, no people, crystal clear water, beautiful coast...



I see lots of dry washes, and can picture them in another month full of water

Towards the beginning of my flat spell


Maruata







apple juice, courtesy of a passer by

Local kid was taking a break with

The palapa resort




Off to the mountain village



Parking the car and heading out on foot


Paper tree





San Pedro





The kids were so curious about our cameras







Miltiary searching for Narcos

Papaya plants, so strange looking

Another flat in my rear, third, this time I changed the old tire (was about time anyway).  I left the old one on the fence and hopefully it will stay for other traveling cyclists as a sign




I didnt know there was a photographer on the beach, until later after futbol he showed up with pics of everybody








Futbol with the locals, still managed to get a goal


One of the guys fixed up my board rack, proper, thanks!


Shiloh gave me his water purifier, thanks!


Muddy wet days...

Mango trees roadside.  Fruit on the side of the road has been great on the trip... raspberries in Alaska, apples in Utah, now mangos in Mexico

Hand picked from the tree, wow they were tasty

Can imagine water rushing through that thing

Trying to find camp one night, bad idea for dirt roads during hurricanes



Rusting and muddy, my bikes seen better days

Camping at the Federale station

HARD down pour, and my flooded camp spot, had to ride right after I took this shot



My chain was rusting, getting stuck, as I was climbing muddy roads like this.  Not fun.

First flat in my trailer tire, these people were kind enough to let me change it underneath the shelter from the rain

La Saladita

Flat number ....


Smooth pavement, light tailwind, no rain, somewhat cool, oh the good life


Ixtapa through the clouds

Downtown Zihuatanejo

Cool guy, makes all his own bread with his wife


Found this spot right off the road, big barrels spitting up and down the beach, nobody out, was so tempted to stop




And again

Camping behind a junkyard, with the smell of pig shit, rotting mangos, and car parts everywhere.  Bad idea.



And another broken pole.

Ruben from El Sol de Acapulco, interviewed me for the sunday newspaper, about my trip.  Bought me a couple sodas even, muchas gracias y cuidate!

Acapulco

Riding the rim in a turn down a hill, no idea how I didnt crash

Wouldnt have had this picture of the other side of Acapulco if it wasnt for the above flat




Hottt days, hiding in the shade for a bit

Blood stain, even when the bodies are gone, these blood stains still stink

Camping in front of the hospital, under some shelter (fortunately, had serious rain that night, and with bothtent poles broken, can barely pitch my tent)

Couple locals hanging out with me.  The guy on the right just became a father of 3 this night, they¨re both waiting for his wife and child.  Nice guys, lots of fun.

Up and down, cant stand it

Annoying political trucks


Always quite a few military trucks coming and going


First traveling cyclists Ive seen in a long time, from Italy



Camping in a mango grove

One of my first jobs ever, at a restaurant, a busser always told  me about how beautiful Oaxaca is.  Cool Im finally seeing it.


Cool, wet day


Big snakes, use the motorcycle for scale

Gloves and seat are wearing out



One of my favorite road lunches to prepare... tomato, avocado, cheese, lime, salt, pepper, on tostadas or brea


Recently used wash near Puerto

Knocked down trees from the hurricane recently


The Mexican Pipeline, Ive seen pictures of this place in surfing mags since I started surfing


Jumped on the back on one of the local small trucks for a ride back to town.

Theyre usually full of people

Downtown Puerto Escondido

Chile relleno and some drink with oatmeal, milk, and... I cant remember what they called it

Zicatela


At the hostel, plenty of plants





Some pics Nigel from Baja sent me, dont know if i ever included them


First press coverage of my trip so far.  I figured there would be a few things that were inaccurate, and sure enough there are - I wish I had sold a Porsche for the trip.











I meant to put this in a while back, my friend Vincent showed me.  I definitely can relate to the "tour de fuck you!":

No comments:

Post a Comment