Sunday, February 24, 2013

Media

I recently heard of the tragic news that two fellow traveling cyclists were killed by a pickup truck in Thailand a couple of weeks ago, only a couple of days after I left Popayan.  My thoughts go out to the families of Peter and Mary.

  Pete and Mary, RIP from Tom Waugh on Vimeo.



Relaxing at El Morro enjoying the view in Popayan





Chicha and a new friend

Muchas gracias

Some real bad sections that got better, only to become bad again.


Freddy and Betty, after making a poor decision to skip a decent camp spot, I got stuck on the hill going to Pasto losing light.  When I asked if they could camp on their property, they instead gave me a room with a hot shower, and even fed me.  Thanks so much!

I have never wanted to take a stray dog home as bad as this one.  Up until this dog, I had never give any food to ANY stray dogs.  Just look at those eyes.

Nice and cold, great camp spot.

Muchas gracais Alsyra! When I showed up at her restaurant and asked just to camp behind in on the grass somewhere, she immediately gave me a cup of coffee and some biscuits.  Later that night she came by my tent to give me a bowl of soup.  Even in the morning when all I wanted was some clean water, she gave me coffee and some bread!


Lots of times people pull over just to stop and stare at me ride by.  This guy was so enthusiastic, they pulled over and he took pictures of me slowly going up the hill, then would run to another spot to get another photo.  Too funny.

Brutal hills

Hiro from Japan, the first of many traveling cyclists I've been coming across.

Last meal in Colombia with the last of my pesos, so delicous
 
Muchisimas gracias por todo!  Really nice family let me camp on their lawn near their restaurant, then invited me to join them for dinner.  In the morning gave me breakfast evening.  So many nice people recently.

Such smooth roads in Ecuador

Nigel from Australia





Dinner


Nigel and Hiro





Ibarra, Ecuador




Harpy eagle, apparently strongest eagle in the world.  Indigenous to the jungles of Ecuador







Condor, nearly extinct

Otavalo, Ecuador


The sad thing is that I had one when I was a kid, and cried my eyes out when he died.  Gotta try the local fare though, Cuey AKA guinea pig (not worth it, hardly any meat - overrated).  Wearing my new "jumper" (sweater) as Nigel calls it, made of alpaca, so nice.

Hitching a ride back to town








Both of us in different hemispheres from our home countries





Not temperatures you'd expect of the equator, love it.




Hanging with friends at "Cleta"

Caro





Yep time to change the rear

Much better

My Aunt sent a birthday card, thanks Colleen!


Carlos at Construbicis in Quito, put locking washers on my front pannier rack bolts (one was getting loose couple days after popayan.  Had to hand tighten it road-side), checked a few things on my bike, all free of charge. Gracias!

Lots of ciclovias, love it

Whole loaf of whole grain hand made bread, for a buck and a quarter.  Ecuador might be cheaper than Mexico for lots of things.

The touristy scene

Enjoying some great dessert at Caro's restaurant she works at















No comments:

Post a Comment