Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!

Got to Santa Cruz from Half Moon Bay on Wednesday, after the worst day of touring I have had.  There was such a strong south wind that day, I remember going down a decent hill, and looking down to actually see that I was slowing down.  This is the first time I recall, that I was not pleased to be riding (at one point cursing the wind aloud).  The weather was excellent, sunshine, warm... just a damn headwind!

I continue to meet awesome people on the road.  Not sure if I mentioned it previously, but it's interesting that most of the touring cyclists I meet are from other parts of the world, and not typically american.  Coming from Half Moon Bay alone, I met two guys from the Netherlands, and another couple German dudes.

Leaving San Francisco, I was greeted with another day of terrific weather (see the Golden Gate shots).  Winding around the coast and down to Half Moon Bay, I checked out Mavericks, a famous big-wave spot I have never seen before.  Standing there on the bluff, looking at the break, I could feel the potential power and energy there, a very humbling place.

I have been enjoying myself tremendously...as usual, haha.  My friend Jad, has been staying his friend's in Santa Cruz, and fortunately let me stay there as well.  Arnoldo is our host,  a very generous, kind man with roots in Columbia, and has offered lots of great advice and interesting stories.  I have been having an excellent time in Santa Cruz hanging with Jad, surfing, working out, partying...a great mix of everything.

Hosted my first touring cyclist, Eric, had seen him on the road several times in his recumbent.  After surfing and heading home one evening a few days ago, we spotted Eric riding through town.  We had him at the house, cooked a meal for him, and sent him on his way the following morning (with excellent timing, it had begun to rain just as we met him that night).

I'll be back on the road mon/tues, should be to San Luis Obispo by next weekend.

Hope you have an excellent halloween.

Enjoy The Ride

No comments:

Post a Comment