Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Media

Whitehorse, Yukon

When Canadians are dissatisfied with their government, they do something about it.  Here they're camping on the government lawn to protest a lack of affordable housing in town. 

Large still at Yukon Brewing

Phellipe's house

Darren and Sarah

Darryl, Karen, and daughter

Riding out of town, Daryl and Karl


Felix and Karl


Gimme shelter




Felix and Karl. Camping under a gazebo away from the rain


Trippy riding over a huge moving body of water...and you can look down and see it.

Morning after their worst day on their trip so far apparently (mine was probably riding to the Canadian border, we had plenty of other bad days though haha): a flat for me and Felix, and plenty of cold miserable rain, even into this campsite and trying to pitch tents.

The culprit for my flat, a sharp barb-wire looking thing that stabbed my tire and went flat right away.

Felix, riding strong

Quick break, clearly worn out

Our only day of sunshine and wind-free (actually tailwind) from Whitehorse to Dease Lake.  We were elated most of the day, and enjoying the scenery for once.


Karl, and great back drop

I said that Felix's helmet liner resembles a hijab worn by muslim women.  He's modeling it.


Down the Cassiar

Not good, first one I'd seen changing.  More to come, and leaves starting to fall.


Our pull-out, lake-side campsite one evening along the 37






Just another cold, rainy day



Lake Simmons, our view from camp

Felix is fanatical about his gear.  Here, he's giving the usual 30 min run-down on his bike's bells and whistles

The first one I saw on the Cassiar, so many more after this


Looking back towards Dease Lake
Cold and windyyy




Saw this thing flying around one day, wondered what that boom was extending from the plane

Signs like these - not good for cyclists






A break in the clouds


ummm, excuse me, you're in the bike lane

Drying off like me

Soap berry (pretty sure), you see these and you know you're in bear country

Ahhh black top, I've missed you!

Great road, and some sun for once - feeling good

So many endless forests

They have signs like this for most grades in BC

Meziadin Junction



Breakfast next to the lake

To Stewart I go




Sunshine...yes






About 7km of this to Fish Creek


Hungry bears

"Dog" or chum salmon. Locals say they aren't very good. I never tried it, but I think they are just picky with all the fresh salmon they get to choose from


Kingfisher

Everyone came to join the party except the bears

I got a free pass from somebody leaving to go on the boardwalk.  The salmon run up this shallow stream and the bears come down for their "fish-in-a-barrel"


After so may times running into him since Tok, I finally got a picture of Markos (camped with him later that night, and a couple other people, Tegan and Jonvier).  Unfortunately, here he's looking for his bike computer that fell off on the dirt road between Fish Creek and Hyder.

Christian, Fiona, and Gabby - gave me a ride up the hill from Stewart back to the Cassiar, Thanks!

Gorgeous "reds", or sockeye

Hanna creek, the place the locals come to watch the grizz

Paul - met him near the Meziadin junction and let me camp by the lake and gave me a huge zip lock bag full of treats.  Couple days later and on his way home to Smithers, he pulls over to give me some snacks, Thanks!

Phellipe at the mushroom camp

Fresh, wild, Matsutaki's that I cooked up that night.  Phellipe called these garbage and didn't even charge me


Crossing the Skeena and onto the 16


"Highway of tears" - so many people (girls) have been abducted on this stretch of the 16







My new love



My new friends in Moricetown

Just sitting in the grass... (one of a few times surprised by a bear, and looked at this one as I passed and saw him panting and foaming at the mouth... uhh, bear rabies? - probably too full)

Starting to see farmland

My cozy upstairs spot in the loft at Tegan and Jonvier's

Hudson

Keisha the cattle dog


Smithers

Fresh sockeye Jonvier caught earlier that morning

He was so hungry he couldn't wait

A fabulous dinner with Jonvier and Tegan.  So great staying with them - thanks so much!



Salmon eye balls...not bad

For dessert, smoked salmon roe

What a spot to work on my blog

The sweet cabin in Smithers

The top of the run

Kluane Lake, Brad & Bev emailed me this shot (cold and very windy morning)




Quite the campspot.  The sweet just ain't as sweet, without the bitter

Isolated thunderstorms, passing overhead

What a tailwind

Jake, the Jacob's sheep

Alpacas

Dan & Darlene


Lot of oil



First snake of the trip

My new kick stand



Cozy cabin by the river at Deirdre's, and huge garden


Claire and Deirdre, rode with me out of town


Tiny shoulder, with RV's, campers, and semis blasting past

Annoying cracks. The little things get to me sometimes

There are quite a few short, steep hills, that must be covered in ice in the winter

Prince George

Downtown PG on a quite morning


Pushing kids, and still got the gold

Deirdre

Claire

David & Megumi


















No comments:

Post a Comment