Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Media



Shady lunch spot

Ski slopes

I see these signs and know I've got a climb



Moon-rise

There are some great "rest areas" and pull-outs in B.C., this one is basically a campground

Breakfast companion


Clearcuts - gross





Morning sun


Post-lunch swim spot in glacier melt... refreshing in the hot sun.

Climbing up to Jasper

I call this Chinook Falls, I forget the name, but a sign had said only the strongest chinook salmon make it this far


Mt. Robson







Moose Lake




Thomas and Sabine, fellow travellers and new friends

Down to the Kevlar, yep, time for a new tire

Only picture I have of Thomas/Sabine's awesome rig.  See you in Latin America somewhere!


Crossing the Continental Divide... again

I'll make sure to do that

Down to the valley and Jasper



My view while eating lunch in Jasper


Camping in fields of cotton



People pay good money for bronze like this


Joe and Joanna gave me a lift up to Edith Cavell (thanks!)

Proof that you can see a rainbow facing the same direction as the light source.  I had a teacher once tell me this isn't possible.



I think the coolest wildlife sign I've ever seen.

This is one reason why I need a new camera, the picture below is the backdrop to this picture.




Cracks in the road drive me mad, I'd rather have chip seal or maybe even gravel







Camping near Sunwapta pass, a guy I spoke to said "hope you've got a good sleeping bag", I now know why he said that...

The morning after, tent frozen and crispy

That's a cold seat




Looking back after climbing up from the valley, and still not to the top.

High altitude training - Sunwapta pass, 2,000 meters, one of many

Biking on the moon

Quite the snowmobile

















VERY cold leaving Bow pass until reaching Lake Louise

Lake Louise

Great scenic detour, even with a one-way stretch



Was hoping to see a sign like this one of the first few times, but glad there was one at some point

My own campground, complete with a cooking shelter

With 50 campsites to choose from, makes for a tough decision

He was curious about me being there, followed me from the shelter back to my campsite

Into the Kootenays

Looking back after a long climb



Ah yes, radioactive hot water

One of the greatest signs of my trip, too bad it was so short


Worst day of headwinds on my trip so far.  This wasn't gusting either,

Columbia Lake, the source of the mighty Columia river that feeds into the ocean at Astoria, OR (I went through there on my last trip interestingly)





So many billboards, haven't seen any on the trip so far

I love vacant intersections

My last night in Canada, couldn't have had a better spot

Cooking dinner the right way



No "keep out", "private property", "no trespassing" signs... just a simple, courteous, message, and I'm happy to comply

Cattle grazing

Steep hill back to the highway



Feel like a criminal entering my own country

Portable X-ray machine

Made it into the states, and more headwinds
People in Montana really like horses, guns, and in the cities, bikes

The second Eureka I've been to, I think I like this one a little more

View from camp one evening

Montana is not a very bike-friendly state, very little shoulders except for some of the cities like Missoula or Bozeman

Whitefish, MT



COLDEST morning/moment of my trip, riding through this rain, glad the sun came out later

Island lodge

You know it's cold when there's steam on the water



A river runs through it... actually filmed just south of Bozeman

Following the Blackfoot river into Missoula

Loads of bikes and cool bike paths in Missoula

Downtown Missoula

Aden and Connor

Greg Siple at ACA

Greg and his small group had to cross sections of road that were unfinished, like this on the Cassiar

ACA




Always some interesting names of towns


Great tailwind into Helena

Big hill ahead


The fastest I've gone on a downhill, even passing a semi truck


Helena

The party crew in Helena

Leaning against the wind



You gotta do, what you gotta do, sometimes

Sunrise in the canyon

Gourmet breakfast

I really like hashbrowns... a lot

Lewis and Clark caverns



Strange, massive, looking animals


My new kicks and pedals, much better



Sleeping in a bed = the good life

Todd's shop is where the white van is, I'm standing at the corner of their house... he can walk back and forth

Supplies to install solar heaters

Two main designs for solar collectors

The other

Sunrise in Bozeman, before going to work on the farm


Todd and Amy cutting spinach at the CSA


Doing my part, as well as sampling of course
Farm cat eating a mouse... he ate the whole thing

They don't have a drier.  People used to do this before driers existed... works just as good
Simple and durable shower valves, plumbed right into the solar-heated water tank

Cooking water, the right way

Solar tank
Todd's veggie truck






Bozeman below
Amy, riding strong

Todd & Amy























No comments:

Post a Comment