Monday, December 26, 2011

Media




Halloween
Allyce and Sophia
Allyce's

"Mexicali" group



Sedona

The mountain town of Jerome.  I knew I had a long hill, but as I started up it,  two cyclists  were riding down, and upon seeing me, one of them yelled, "HELL YEAH!".  The hill turned out to be 12.6 miles long, and was steep the whole way up, with virtually no breaks in it.

The town reminds me of something I might see in Latin America, the houses are built into the hill, and the roads precariously wind around them with drop-offs.


I rode up from the desert floor far below



After a long hill, and a crazy headwind, it's nice relaxing at camp

I have been so burned out on the usual grind.  I found this tasty spread in the store.

The exciting descent out of the mountains and into the desert

After about 2 months at or above 4,000ft, it's nice to be back at sea level

Saguaro and ocotillos are cool



Wild pig tracks where I'm camping.  They call them Javelina, and can be "vicious".  I saw several different groups while biking, but like the bears, never in camp, fortunately.


Scrumptious gnocci mixed with quinoa

UFO...  Actually it's Jupiter

Great spot for lunch



I couldn't decide which part of the sunset was my favorite, so I included all of them for you to decide.




Riding the 10 freeway







Yes Vanessa!




Rain on the way

Cotton



Nancy in Palo Verde, demonstrating some good stretches for my neck and shoulders.


There were lots of these up and down's along this section



Massive storage area for campers

Ummm... yeah

Glamis


On one side, there's shrubs and plants

The road cuts right through the dunes

The other side is devoid of plant life, and off-roaders go nuts.





Doing a bit of off-roading myself





Bombing area, faded signs and no fencing



Hot springs, more like warm springs, but the water is clean and clear with a nice sandy bottom


1.7 miles through this to get to hot springs, still worth it I'd say

Getting passed by farm equipment

This is where your meat comes from

Close to home

Crop dusting AKA spraying pesticides, however, an excellent display of flying skill





The road to Salvation Mountain



Salvation Mountain








The main roads in Slab City are owned by the county, and still maintained






Memorial


"East Jesus" art garden







Eddie.  He's the first person to meet up with me on my trip



It takes a lot of paint, just to maintain Salvation Mountain



The deteriorating health of Leonard Knight, parallels the health of the structure




Looking towards the Salton Sea, on top of the mountain

Looking back towards the slabs


Salton Sea


Making a fire



Bringing in water.  Jim and Frank

Solar powered WIFI... awesome


Camp after Eddie left

Local hot springs at the slabs, very hot (heard it's around 108F).  The same night we enjoyed the springs, they found the lifeless, floating, body of a young man (we saw a few nights previous) the following morning.


Cooking a "drunken turkey"



Going golfing with Mike
The course has about 9 holes of fun par 3's.  I just had a pitching wedge, and even putted with it.



Each hole has a piece of carpet for smoothing the greens when you're done with the hole.



Lots of work has been put into clearing rocks from the fairways and greens

The first few holes are filled with stink bugs for some reason




Mike, driving a far one


Smoothing it out

Every saturday, "builder Bill" at The Range, does a show, and lets local artists play




Matt and Franziska






Dogs like music too

Saying bye

Turnoff for old campsite

Nice quiet road

These border "checkpoints" are good for something - providing me with water



If you haven't met a cholla yet, consider yourself lucky, one of the thorniest cacti that are hard to remove once they are embedded in your skin



A few more miles away, up some more hill and through a headwind, I reached Agua Caliente hot springs.  With only a half hour, I had barely enough time for a dip, and forgot to get a picture (it's just an indoor pool anyway).  A little convincing at the front and the nice woman let me in for free (only had a half hour anyway!).


Veggie omelet, getting ready for the big push to Julian

The guardians of San Diego, had to get over these to get to town




I like big oak trees

Up the Banner grade.  Popular place for sports cars and sport bikes.  I use to come here with my motorcycle for the twisties.

After a long climb, treating myself.

Julian

Camping under some lovely oaks

Found him on my tent after I packed it, good thing it was all closed up

Greg gave me some great gear for the trip, and we had some good conversation before taking off for the day.



I've seen quite a few owls, and so much road kill.  This barn owl must have been dead very recently, the flies weren't even on it yet.

Lake Henshaw below, with Palomar Mountain above




I could have continued on the 76, but took the detour up Palomar Mountain.  It was worth the view.


Lake Henshaw, looking back from where I came





My view a lot of times as I struggle up hills


Back in the forest



View from the top

Looking South to San Diego


I used to come here on my motorcycle as well.  Known as the "tight side" of Palomar Mountain, this is at the top, where I would stop for a rest.  It was my favorite descent... ever.


Passing Lake Wohlford, then into Escondido and home

Back home, driving my Mazda around

First glimpse of the ocean in 4.5 months.  Definitely missed it.

The important stuff, brewing some beer



Love that smell





Fermentation is my favorite organic chemistry process

Cool painting I saw in a local restaurant, the picture doesn't do it justice

Recent desert trip with my Uncle and Father




I met Don and Mel at a rest stop on my way back to Brawley from  the Slabs.  They gave me some pizza and took a few pics.   Thanks!



























No comments:

Post a Comment