Monday, August 9, 2010

Confirmed!

I'm bicycling across the country, 2,000 miles, from Vancouver, BC to San Diego, CA.  I leave September 9th, 2010, and have an indefinite return date, probably late October.  I plan on stopping to visit friends and family along the way, which will delay the finish.  After all, I'm not in a rush, and plan on enjoying every bit of what the coast has to offer.

I have wanted to do this ride for nearly 3 years, after meeting numerous people in Humboldt, CA that were doing the ride themselves.  I have never enjoyed street riding because of all the cars and danger, but mainly breathing nasty pollution from the exhaust.  After considering how amazing a trip like this would be, I decided the positives far out-weighed the negatives, and purchased a late 90's Novara touring bike in the Spring of 2009.  Numerous circumstances prevented me from going last summer, so I have planned for the past year to go this year.

I started this blog to let people monitor my progress, although I probably won't be able to update it frequently, but when I do, I will try and cover all of the missed days in a summary from my journal.

I just bought my plane ticket today, so the trip is definitely happening. I still have a lot to do to get ready, including training!  Have to get a lot more gear, and do some practice simulation rides to make sure there are important things I won't forget to bring.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for updates

6 comments:

  1. FINALLY!!! Alright, best of luck to you. Hope all goes well!

    Reza

    ReplyDelete
  2. After you complete the run, u need to say this

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrszfSTkXTM

    "fucking champion"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, it should be interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Devin. It's Lisa from Monterey. Gave you a ride up to Veteran's Park. I hope your night was great. Good luck and have a safe trip. What an adventure of a life time. I will continue to follow your awesome journey!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa! I need to try and figure out how to get blogger to email me when someone leaves a message. Thanks again for the ride!!!

    Hope you're doing alright, and continue to follow along.

    ReplyDelete