Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Hills Ahead

Went on a ride yesterday, ~20 miles to Oceanside and back home.  Knee was feeling worse than usual.  I was still able to ride fine, just caused minor discomfort, as well as significant concern for the trip.  The seat I have been using is not the most comfortable, this may have to do with some of the knee pain. I'm going to put on a different seat, maybe even a third and try to find the right one and position.

I've been having knee pain for roughly a month with no specific injury.  It began to get a bit better, but that has remained in the same annoying condition for a few weeks now.

I have a lot more training to do, but I know I need to err on the side of caution because once I'm on the ride I can get into better shape, but it will be more difficult to heal.  Think I'm going to take a couple days off then do a 40miler this weekend. 

Went to the bike store yesterday and picked up a bike box from the back dumpster.  They're free cardboard bike boxes that the bike stores receive new bikes in.  I picked out the nicest of the four and collected foam from all the boxes next to the dumpster.  I checked earlier this week with the airline and it's only $50 to check my bike in a box as luggage.  Not bad for shipping a bicycle across the country, not to mention the bike will be with me at the airport so I will have transportation immediately.

I also got a bike pump finally at the store and went for the nicer "park" $25 one than conveniently compresses to fit inside my frame.  So now when I get a flat tire, I will actually be able to change and fill the tire/tube.

Still need to order a front rack with pannier bags (I bought a pair of rear bags about a month ago).

Only a few weeks out now, and the to-do list is suddenly catching up to me.  Need to get rid of and sell a lot of stuff as I move out of my current residence.  I'm working everyday until a few days before I'm supposed to leave, so I need to dedicate more time to sourcing items and making arrangements.  I want to make sure that I have all the necessary equipment on the trip to ensure everything runs smoothly, but mainly keep my enjoyment level high!

Considering all the injuries I have incurred in my life, I know that I will definitely be taking it easy before the departure, can't get hurt doing something stupid right before this.




dev

No comments:

Post a Comment