Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Change Of Plans

I have been hitting too much rain, my body is starting to hurt too much, I have decided to cancel my trip...













Just kidding!!!





I have decided to modify my trip plans and go south of the border when I hit San Diego, and continue the journey to Argentina (Tierra Del Fuego).  Numerous people have inspired me to continue the trip, and I figure I should, 'go the distance'.  I have thought about continuing on from San Diego, and the final straw was meeting a young British couple that are doing the trip to Argentina.

I will be selling my truck, car, and most of my stuff to fund the trip when I arrive in San Diego.  I have been thinking of "Fight Club" a lot in reference to the coming times:

"It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything"

"The things you own, end up owning you"

"You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world."

- Tyler Durden

I will need to modify my bike to accommodate the harsh roads of Latin America, as well as the stretches between bike shops.  It turns out I am in (relatively) perfect timing to continue by beating the harsh weather of baja, and hitting the summer in South America.  I probably finish the journey sometime around fall of next year, 2011.

Before people start worrying, understand that this is a trip quite a few have done, and very recently.

I have setup a donation tab at the bottom of the site if you wish to contribute to my journey.  Any and all contributions are greatly appreciated.  If you cannot donate, or wish not to, please don't hesitate to send encouraging messages or leave comments.  I think of the people wishing me well on my expedition frequently while on the road, and it gives me fuel to push on.  I know that this is only the beginning and I will encounter some serious difficulties, but I am not a quitter.  I have learned that quitting is never worth anything, pushing on is the only answer, I will persevere.

I am in Newport, OR now, using the library briefly before running out of time.  Oregon is a scenic coast line, but I find myself thinking of the half way mark frequently, and getting to my friend's house.  I have not see him in some time, and look forward to catching up over some cold beer after a surf.  I will take a few days (likely a week) off there, dry off, spruce up the bike a bit, then move on.

The road is a very dynamic place.  Blasting rain and wind one day, sunny with morning fog and calm winds the next.  I never get used to the obnoxious, loud cars/trucks. I find myself at times cursing under my breath, and glaring at them with such disdain, but i have learned to deal with them for the most part, they are apart of the road life.  Life is simplied to the max now, where the finer/nicer things are greatly appreciated.  Three things are paramount when I think of civilization: clean laundry, hot shower, dry house.  i think of them often as I push on to Crescent City for a much needed break.

I am out of time.  I will update my daily journal when I arrive in Crescent city in a few days.


Thanks for reading!

Devin










4 comments:

  1. Argentina ?!! Are you crazy ?!! Just had to throw that out there. :) lol
    love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! That's fantastic! If you're seriously going to finish your trip of fall of next year, it might just be a good excuse for me to meet you there and celebrate in style (I'll even bring my jeans for you to wear)!
    I could totally see that you were smitten by the road when you first cycled in to Vancouver. I am glad to see that the bug has bitten you hard and you're going to run with it! Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats awesome! I really support thaat!, I wish I could've done the journey as you!
    you'll have lots of great experiences during the trip! be strong!
    yours
    Yaron

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks guys. J, that would be awesome. Hopefully I'll be fluent in spanish by then, and I can navigate around town like a local ;)

    relaxing in crescent city now after a fun surf session in sunshine!

    ReplyDelete