Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Southbound

Miles ridden today: 45
Miles so far: 107


Got up today, finished uploading photos and such.  Ended up sleeping in until around 11, packed and got on the road today around 1:30.  Knew it was going to be tight to try and make the 3pm ferry, but figured I'd try nonetheless.  Got out of downtown alright, but then hit gravel again on the shoulder for a couple miles.  There was a lot of construction people on the opposite side, so I think it was really good fortune/timing that I went north when I did when there wasn't any of them.  I passes a couple construction guys, I was waiting for them to tell me how i can't ride on the 99, I looked right into the eyes of one of them, nodded, neither said anything.   Traffic was starting to slow and I knew I was close to the tunnel. 

I didn't want to risk going through the tunnel again, figured i would try to hitch a ride through at the exit before.  As i was sitting at the stoplight, i saw an F-150 diesel truck, with a trailer of two jet skis.  The young couple had just got into the truck with the engine running as I pulled up.  He rolled down the window and I explained the situation, and inquired if he might be heading south as well.  Turns out he was, and had no problem giving me a ride.  Dave and Jane (think that was there names...) dropped me off just past the tunnel, and I was back on the road, relieved that I avoided riding through the tunnel again.  It was defintely obvious riding on the 99 today that it's illegal to bike on it (we saw a police car as we exited the tunnel in dave's truck, glad i got a ride). 

[I was thinking while riding today how amazing it is that the entire time i was on the 99, I didn't see or get pulled over by a single cop.  I realized I hadn't seen any cops the entire time I was there and mentioned this to Janelle.  We did finally see some the following evening in downtown, but they are few and far between...i love canada.]

I got onto the 17, and noticed the land lost some trees and turned into a delta.  As I approached the peninsula for the ferry, I was struck with the sudden beauty of the view.  Behind me, I could see west Van, with Grouse mountain visible.  Even some of the slopes I could see, and barely make out their famous wind turbine at the top. 

On the ferry, I locked my bike up and was deafened by the noise on the lower level with the diesel trucks and the boat engine.  I unstrapped ALL my bags and juggled them to the elevator and top deck.  I met Robert, a traveling german, with middle aged complexion.  He helped me with a bag as we made our way to the front of the boat and enjoyed the view and discussed traveling.  Turns out, he's a fellow couch-surfer as well.  The ferry ride was spectacular.  Very calm water, so glassy, with the sun out and barely any clouds.  When we got close to dock, I said goodbye and took a picture with his CS account name.  I raced downstairs and put all the gear/bags back on the bike just in time to get off the ferry before the trucks did.

Road to Victoria, and was keeping a steady pace to beat the darkness.  Made it but not with the sun.  Stopped by subway for much needed nutrients, called Ryan (couch surfer i'm staying with in Victoria), got some revised directions and made it to his house.  He's busy packing for his Las Vegas trip.  Guess he has to leave by 7am, so definitely early morning.  That will give me time to ride around town.  I have another couch-surfer's number that I may call and see I can stay one more day (still ahve some canadian money to use too).

Then it will be onto Port Angeles on the 'black ball' ferry.  Don't really know when I'll have internet access again.  I'll probably just stop into a library at some point, until the next definite computer location (crescent city).  Knee is feeling alright, some pain at times, but I get pain in other parts of my left leg too.  I think it hurts more when I'm not riding, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment