Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Oh Canada, eh!

Great weather continued on Saturday. Kevin and I packed up and headed north. He decided that he was going to drop me off at the border, instead of Bellingham, to give us more time for sight seeing.  We stopped at Mt. Erie on the way. It was an amazing view of the East and the South, overlooking the islands and Washington.  After, we continued driving, up to Chuckanut drive.  This is a road that winds around the coast of the mainland and is a great, scenic alternative to the 5 freeway.  After making some stops, we realized that it was getting very late for me to start riding. 

Kevin dropped me off at the last exit before the border.  Strapped the gear to the bike quick-like, and with a hasty goodbye, took off on the road towards the border.  I didn't know what to expect, since I hadn't seen any cyclists on the road, just a line of cars up to the border.  There were 4-6 agents standing in the road, generally looking over cars.  They barely glanced at me as I rode through.  I had somebody take a quick shot of me and the bike under the famous "peace arch".  I slowly rode up to the stalls at the border, and didn't really know where to go, so I went to the closest to the center stall and noticed a door at the building. The agent asked me where I was going, and a few other general questions (including if i was carrying a firearm, which turns, had I been carrying one, would have been excluded entry [FYI for all those that thought i should carry a weapon]).  I was granted access and took off on the bike.  Considering I had told Janelle (couch surfer I was to be staying with in Vancouver), I would be up there between 4-5, and the current time was almost 5, I left in a hurry.  (I saw a sign that said Vancouver was 34 right when i started, didn't realize until I got to vancouver that it was actually in kilometers forutnately, even though it still took 38 miles to get to her condo).

I noticed immediately riding on the 99 that it would be interesting, since the freeway was a 2 lane highway on both sides going freeway speeds.  I started out with a solid pace, almost 20mph, but between 5-10 miles, i saw that the shoulder was going from paved to gravel, with no end in sight.  This went on for a good couple miles, with my pace dropping to around 5mph.  Before i got back onto the pavement, i noticed a wood marker sticking up that I was heading right for.  With all the weight, i couldn't move out of the way in time without sliding out on the gravel, and clipped it with my right front pannier  (DONT LOAD FRONT PANNIERS TOO MUCH!).  I heard something break, and looked down to see one of the mounting clips broken, but still hooked, and my pannier barely on the rack.  My speed/distance sensor was hit and had to adjust it until it worked again.  I was back on the paved road, then the rain slowly progressed from a sprinkle, to a steady rain (not down pour at least).  Then some miles later after getting into a groove, i reached the george massey tunnel.

This tunnel joins the two land masses and goes under the fraser river.  As i came up to it, it looked like there wasn't a bike lane so i turned off to assess the situation.  i stopped and put the covers on my panniers, eat something, asked some runners if there was another way around, the nearest was 15 k's to the east.  i went back and after trying to hitch hike for 15mins, i decided to go for it.  i took off when there wasn't any cars in the one lane, dropped into high gear and into the tunnel.  Very wet, very scary...very thrilling!  As i got to the other side, i started to slow down as the up-hill came.  My critical mass skills took over, and i took over the right lane, so people wouldn't try to pass me in the lane.  I received some honks and some glares as people passed in the other lane, but i made it out of the tunnel.  A couple miles later i see a firetruck with lights blazing, zooming up the freeway behind me.  I immediately thought someone called them when they saw me in the tunnel, but they past me.  A little later i saw that they were responding to an accident.  I rode by, off the freeway in the dirt/mud, that started sticking to the bike like glue.  Got past the accident and had to muscle my 100pound bike and gear over the wall.  Chuckling at all the stuff happening in one day as i started riding again, and got to vancouver a little later.

Riding through downtown Vancouver, i was getting a lot of looks as i went down Granville st, soaked, dirty, with a loaded touring bike.  The first thing i noticed about Vancouver is, all of the fine women.  I just couldn't helpful myself as i pulled up to the occasional red light, and ask a beautiful girl for directions, when of course i knew where i was going.  As I crossed the the bridge into North Van, I never thought i would be so happy to see an "ugly grey building".  I was up in Janelle's condo in no time, with bike and gear, having a hot shower and delicous hot tea.  Since i arrived around 8pm, we briefly agreed that another day in Vancouver would definitely be in order, so i postponed my departure for vancouver island another day.

Sunday it was still raining.  Janelle cooked amazing spelt/banana pancakes, and more delicious tea.  Took the bus with her to kitsalno.  She went to work at the spa, and i walked around in the rain, checking out different shops.  There's a tea shop called David's teas that we went to after she got off.  i never knew teas could be so good, and will never look at other loose leaf teas again.  i stocked up for the rest of the trip, i know it will be worth it.  We walked along the beach at kitsalano, stopped by the brewery for tasting, and grabbed a bunch of ingredients for a kick ass dinner.  Got back to the condo, cooked and ate wild BC salmon, asparagus, rissoto from scratch, and a rose wine.

After letting the food settle. Janelle offered the idea of going out to downtown to the bars with a couple friends that were on their way down there.  I said i was too tired... jk, of course i said yes, and we got ready.  We were picked up by a taxi with janelle's two friends, steve and pete.  Steve is an irishman born in belfast, still with an accent.  pete is english, with a real thick british accent.  Together, the four of us all from different countries, drove to downtown and went to the bar Roxy.  They wouldn't let me in with my rain pants i had on.  So J and i improvised... Went to the Mcdonalds, where i swapped my long underwear pants i still had on, for her jeans.  We got back to the club, the bouncer was so impressed, he let us both in without paying the cover.  Had a great time, hung out at the house with janelle and steve, didn't get to bed until 4. 

Got up today, exhausted, but still ready for more adventure.  I packed up most of my gear, and janelle and i went for a canadian souvenir, something practical and memorable.  I had mentioned that i wanted a shirt, and we had seen a particular shirt that she thought was at a store nearby.  The weather was great, partly cloudy, that quickly cleared to clear skies, and clean, cool, air.  We made it down to the mall, and found the T-shirt shop that happened to have the I (cloud) Vancouver 't' we had seen previously.  We stopped by whole foods afterwards for a snack, and i walked her to her medical appointment.  We took some great pictures at the fountain and said goodbye. 

I walked back to the condo, met with Kathryn (old friend), packed my stuff, and took off in her SUV.  She offered her couch to stay on, and since it was already late in the day, knew i should just stay another day again, and get an early start the following day for Victoria.  Drove to Cypress mountain, UBC, as well as some other spots but i couldnt help falling asleep.  We grabbed a quick bite at a local restaurant, got to her house where i spent hours updating this blog and editing pictures.  Didn't realize how long it would take, im going to have to cut down on some details for future posts, but i'm sure there might be less to write about after biking all day, and hanging out at campsites, but i digress.

Going to sleep after i upload some pics.  Getting up early tomorrow so i can bike around downtown some more, possibly stanley park, then head down to Tsawwassen for the ferry to Swartz bay on Vancouver island. It looks like the couch surfer i was supposed to stay with sunday night, is still cool with me staying with him tomorrow night, but sounds like he'll be busy, so ill have to do some solo sight seeing i think.

No comments:

Post a Comment