Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Departure Imminent

I leave Thursday morning!

Finally got done moving today.  Now I really need to focus on finishing packing up, like packing the bike in the bike box.

Finally received my front panniers and rack on Wednesday.  Mounted the rack and bags that night, realized that the front panniers have a poorly designed mounting system, so I had to use my angle grinder and cut off a tab on the rack, then use a bungee cord to make sure the bags aren't going to come off while riding.

On Saturday I went for a test drive, loaded up all the panniers with stuff ( a lot of it for the trip), at least a good 40 pounds of gear, along with the tent, sleeping bag, and mat.  The bike definitely handles a bit different, and that weight is noticeable when pedaling, but didn't seem overwhelming.  I rode to my uncle Don's in Oceanside to see if he wanted to go on my usual trip to the harbor and back, but when I arrived, he had company and were just sitting down to dinner.  I skipped the ride and had a great meal and a great time with everyone there.  The ride home was a bit of a struggle, late at night with a belly full of food and in not the most sober mindset, but I made it back.

I started packing Sunday, moved all day yesterday and most of today to my mom's.  Tomorrow, I'm focusing the entire day on packing, checking and rechecking checklists and making sure I have everything.  I'm going to pack the bike tomorrow morning, probably go get some foam or bubble wrap to protect the derailleur's.

Next time I post, I'll be in Canada!

No comments:

Post a Comment